One of the best things about Eureka, Nevada, and what sets it apart from the other towns in rural Nevada, is that it’s no “ghost town.” The Eureka, Nevada Historical Society want residents and tourists to have the opportunity to familiarize themselves with some of the oldest Nevada buildings; a great way to do this is to develop a self-guiding tour around town. Folks can pick-up a guide at any of the main businesses to tour through the original structures of the town.
Due to multiple natural disasters, including both fires and earthquakes, many of the buildings have been rebuilt and/or reconstructed…possibly more than once! The sites on the tour map are privately owned and most are still in use. All three properties considered part of the Owl Club Bar & Steakhouse are on the self-guiding tour: Numbers 21, 25 and 26.
Number 21 is the Foley-Rickard-Johnson-Remington Building located just east of the Owl Club front doors. This is the site of Eureka’s first adobe house, then a two-story brick structure in 1879 built by M. D. Foley and Richard Rickard. For the late 1800’s, this structure was occupied by many small businesses and offices-the Remington, Johnson and Company hardware store, a bookstore, stationery store, and the Masonic and Odd Fellow’s Hall just to name a few. Although the second story of the building was demolished in 1983, the original iron columns still remain. The site is vacant as a main street storefront.
Number 25 was originally a two-story structure as well, and is what customers know today as the Owl Club Bar & Steakhouse. The C. P. Brewery was downstairs and the Palace Saloon above, but destroyed in the 1880 fire. The one story structure that replaced the original building has been owned by the Carrion family since 1981. In 2001, Ron Carrion purchased and combined Numbers 25 & 26, the business next door known as the Nevada Club.
The Nevada Club was also a popular saloon called the Tiger Saloon, and fought a good fight to stay in business. The building burned down twice in the same year, being re-built in just 13 days in between, and was destroyed yet again. A new structure was built in 1930, and the saloon and dance hall was owned by Pete Laborde during the 40’s & 50’s. The two buildings now share a horseshoe wrap-around style bar which gives the Owl Club Bar & Steakhouse over 10,000 square feet.
As an interesting side note, the Carrion family resided in Eureka, Nevada in one of the tour map buildings, too. Number 19, the Ryland Building, sits on the same block as the Owl Club. Amongst the other original structures, it burned down in 1880 and the second structure has been used as apartments, offices, and a restaurant. The Carrion’s own the private residence and considered it home for over 30 years.
These are only 4 of 47 spots on the self-guiding tour in Eureka. The best part about this adventure is that most buildings, most everywhere in Eureka, is within walking distance. It’s a great way to see the town and catch up on some exciting Nevada history. Without a doubt, the locals can tell you some good stories to add to your tour. Check out http://www.rainesmarket.com/eureka_selfguiding_tour.htm for more information on the complete self-guiding tour.